Monday, January 25, 2010

Poor people, kind of like... animals

Lt. Governor of South Carolina, Andre Bauer, recently shared a colorful analogy at a town hall meeting, in which he compared poor people, including children, to stray animals. One just couldn't make this stuff up...

“My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You’re facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don’t think too much further than that. And so what you’ve got to do is you’ve got to curtail that type of behavior. They don’t know any better.”

You don't say? Go on:

“I can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina,” [...] “You show me the school that has the highest free and reduced lunch, and I’ll show you the worst test scores, folks. It’s there, period.” 

No shit? Go on:

“You go to a school where there’s an active participation of parents, and guess what? They have the highest test scores. So what do you do? You say, ‘Look folks, if you receive goods or services from the government and you don’t attend a parent-teacher conference, bam, you lose your benefits.’”

Ok... You should have stuck with this last one, and left out the stray animals bit.

Anything else?

“And so government has got to change what it does. Babies having babies. Somebody’s got to talk about. Politicians don’t want to talk about it anymore because it’s politically incorrect.”

Is that so? Concerns about kids having kids and wanting to address that sort of problem is politically incorrect now? Not in my neighborhood, but then, I don't live in South Carolina. Maybe, it's a local thing.

Is that all?

“They can continue to have more and more kids, and the reward is there’s more and more money in it for them.”

And that's why some states have limits... I guess South Carolina doesn't. I wonder what the Lt. Gov. thinks of birth control and abortion?

Alright. Back to that stray animals thing... I'd hate to think that perhaps he was simply misunderstood here. Fortunately the media asked Mr. Bauer to clarify his statements. He responded:

“There was no way I was trying to tie animals to people”

Oh, well of course not. I mean, that would just be insensitive, insulting, asinine, cruel... So what did you mean, Mr. Bauer?

“What I was trying to talk about was the dependency culture. And that, just like when you feed animals, you create a dependency. [...] I do not care about being politically correct, I care about being honest.

Ah, well that clears everything up. So, you really are a douche-bag then. At least we know for sure.


I'm not much for political correctness either. And I prefer honesty. So here's my honest assessment. We could use some more welfare reform in this country. Some states more than others. But this kind of insulting demagoguery is completely unnecessary. And this clown should be removed from office as soon as possible. He's not fit to serve the public.

Articles at The Raw Story & Sphere.

No comments: