Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Inauguration

I was very impressed with President Barack Obama's inaugural address. In fact, after having read it in its entirety, I was even more impressed. While I know I am going to disagree on some policy decisions that he will advocate and no doubt sign or decree into law, I completely embrace the ideology he expressed. Having a president who seems to truly 'get it'... In all honesty, it just seems too good to be true.

This was the first inauguration that I've taken an interest in. Usually they come and go with little concern from me. Just another politician, more of the same. This time I was very interested in what the President had to say. I feel more positive and more trusting about Barack Obama than I have any other president in my lifetime, by far, and really more than any other politician. I feel more patriotic than I've probably ever felt, as well.

I had few disappointments with the event overall. One of those was the flub of the oath. I admit that at first I thought Obama had made the mistake, and, I must also admit that I found myself skeptical when some media outlets put the blame on Chief Justice John Roberts. Of course, President Obama did cut the Chief Justice short after "I Barack Hussein Obama...", but having inquired further I found that it was indeed Chief Justice Roberts who goofed by omitting "faithfully" prior to "execute" and instead tacking "faithfully" on at the end of the sentence. The hesitation of Obama when this happened lead me to believe he drew a blank on what to say. Actually, after having reviewed the video, it appears to me that he was giving Chief Justice Roberts a chance to rephrase it correctly.

Another disappointment was in the speech when he thanked former President Bush for his "service" to the country. He didn't have to go on the offensive, of course, that would be tacky. However, in my opinion no credit should have been given to George W. Bush because he doesn't deserve any. He has not, save a few minor exceptions perhaps, made positive advancements for the country, the world. Quite the contrary, he's undermined the nation's values, and compromised national and world security.

Last but not least, my biggest disappointment actually began with the beginning of the event itself — Pastor Rick Warren's invocation. I didn't watch it. I still haven't seen it nor read a transcript. I had no desire to listen to what the man had to say. I don't think he should have been given such an honor. A man who holds such anti-homosexual prejudices does not deserve respect or legitimacy. To me, this was the equivalent of honoring an advocate for segregation or someone who publicly opposes interracial marriage. Anyone who compares same-sex marriage to polygamy or pederasty as moral equivalency is a bigot and should have no place at the table in a civilized society.

Speaking of which. While I realize the context isn't the same, I especially appreciated this line from President Obama:
"We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you."

The same goes for those who seek to advance their agendas by imposing intolerance & hate against homosexuals and denying us our right to equality.

1 comment:

Whimspiration said...

Wise words, thank you for sharing them.